Why should your site be developed Mobile first? The numbers don't lie
So you see a link on facebook, twitter or even a local business from a google search and you click on it on your mobile phone and get to a great looking site but unfortunately, on your phone it's a disaster. Nothing is legible and you are not only scrolling up and down but left to right. It's the equivalent to reading a book with a tiny flashlight. What happens next? You close it and maybe remember to go back later at a computer. If this was a potential customer, chances are they may never come back. Before smart phones your website was great, but times have changed and it's time for a upgrade.
The following will come as no surprise to most but when you look at the numbers they are quite staggering and ever increasing. If you currently have a website for your business you need to consider that a large percentage of your visitors are coming from smartphones. Check out some the numbers and decide for yourself.
- 24.7 million Canadians are online. That's 80% of the population.
Up to 70% of Canadians use mobile devices.
Of those that use mobile devices...
- 97% use their mobile phone at home
- 83% use their mobile on the go
- 79% don't leave home without it
- 1 in 4 would give up their TV over their smartphone.
Search and Social
- 4.8 billion Canadian Google searches are performed each month
- 16% of daily searches have never been searched before
- 16.9 million Canadians are on social networks
- 32% increase in total minutes on social networking sites from 2010 to 2011
- Canada is leading on Google+ per capita
- 25 million people in Canada watch online videos every month
- Each person in Canada watches one hour per day of online videos, 80% of that is on YouTube
These numbers have been increasing month after month and this trend isn't going away any time soon. We would love to convert your website to a mobile friendly version.
Read more statistics on the 6smarketing blog